[Openexr-devel] "baking" openExr into plugin dll

From: Anders Egleus
Subject: [Openexr-devel] "baking" openExr into plugin dll
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 23:19:00 +0200

Hey there.

I'm using openExr in a plugin for Maya and I'm wondering if there's a
way to "bake" the exr libraries into my plugin dll (or mll as it
happens to be called in this case) so I don't have to distribute the
openExr dll files to every user.

I've successfully compiled both the exr libraries (following the
instructions in the readme files which come with the ilmbase and
openexr packages) and my own plugin and it's working fine as long as
the exr dll:s reside in my Maya bin directory. If I remove them
however, the plugin won't load (giving the error "the specified module
could not be found" of course). This is what I want to fix, i.e. I
want to be able to load my plugin without dependencies to the exr dll
files. Is this possible?

Let me make it clear that I'm very much a noob with all the linking
and preprocessor stuff, I've had a lot of help from this mailing list
as well as Hebbut's page in order to get this far. I believe that what
I want to do is called static linking, but I'm not sure.

If anyone has Maya (or not) and want to take a look at the vc++
project I'd be happy to upload it.

Thanks for any help.