openvortex-dev

Re: [Openvortex-dev] Alsa-XMMS buffer time weirdness / Quad codec

From: Ryan Underwood
Subject: Re: [Openvortex-dev] Alsa-XMMS buffer time weirdness / Quad codec
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2003 22:59:37 -0500

Hi Manuel,

On Sun, Jul 06, 2003 at 03:42:29PM -0400, Manuel Jander wrote:
> Hi Ryan,
>
> I was playing with the quad support today (not your patch; yet to be
> tried), and i got the following result:
>
> WHen the register 0x6E bit D2 is 0 then the MUX that allows to select
> either the SDAC output comming from the "Surround" volume control or the
> Main mixer output, i can get both outputs of my MX300 (SDAC_OUT and
> LINE_OUT) with a stereo stream only if i play through the SDAC instead
> the PCM DAC.

Hmm, having trouble picturing what's going on there.  Perhaps a little
ascii diagram?

> I was unable to alter the MUX in such a manner that the SDAC_OUT get its
> signal from the main mixer output, whoich would be preferable.
>
> Did you have any success chaning that MUX by (supposedly) setting the
> bit D2 of register 0x6E ?

When the register 0x6e is set, the sound that goes to the primary output
on the codec is simply duplicated to the secondary output as well,
internally to the codec.

According to the datasheet, any sound that would go to the surround
output is also mixed with the (duplicated) stereo stream if that D2 is
set.  Which makes it preferable to _not_ set it if one is useing 4
discrete channels at once.  If you did, you would hear both the discrete
surround output as well as the duplicated front outputs both at once
through the rear speakers, which probably is not desirable. :)

Did that answer the question?

--
Ryan Underwood, <nemesis at icequake.net>, icq=10317253