pan-devel

[Pan-devel] Re: Packaging GTK with PAN for windows

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-devel] Re: Packaging GTK with PAN for windows
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2006 13:22:32 -0700

DPA posted <address@hidden>, excerpted below,
on Sat, 04 Mar 2006 22:55:57 -0500:

> So far I have not had much success with compiling Pan on Windows using a
> newer version of GTK, so I was wondering what everyone thought about
> packaging the older GTK Runtime with the PAN install?  I think that all
> I have to do is also distribute the source with the install package to
> comply with the terms of the GPL.  Does anyone know if this is the case
> or do I just have to make the source available?

GTK+ is LGPL, not GPL.  You should still make source available, however.
I expect pan.rebelbase.com could (and probably will) distribute both the
binaries and the sources.

> In some limited testing if I put all the required GTK libraries into the
> same folder as Pan it ran fine and I was also able to install the newer
> runtime so I could run Ethereal and Gaim.

MSWormOS is designed to work that way.  With Linux, you use preload to
load specific libraries for certain apps, altho versioning usually seems
to work better and that isn't so often needed.

> Pros:
> One install
> Can coexist with other apps that require a more recent GTK Runtime. The
> GTK Runtime on Windows seems to be a bit of a moving target...
>
> Cons:
> Installer will be much larger

As Charles is rather interested in PAN on MSWormOS, it's somewhat  likely
that after what's now in CVS settles down, he'll look at tweaking PAN to
run with the newer GTK+ on MSWormOS once again.  Meanwhile, the larger
installer could be useful.  Of course, it'll turn off some who just
compare file sizes and wonder why PAN needs all that code to do the same
thing MSWormOS native toolkit apps do with far less, but...