pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Opening Pan in X

From: Jeff Vian
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Opening Pan in X
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 15:51:42 -0600

Will Oram wrote:

On Thu, 20 Nov, 2003 at 22:43 +0100, Will Oram wrote:

spamguy:~ spamguy$ pan
(pan:8602): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

Have you actually set your DISPLAY? What does 'echo $DISPLAY' return?

Interesting...it returns nothing. Of course, with all the moving between good system and bad system, I easily left some file like this out.

What should it be? And how would I change it?

Thanks. I didn't want to pin the problem on Pan, but it was Pan giving the error, so...

Pan gives the error because it REQUIRES that you have X running.
You have been asked if you are running X, and as yet I have not seen your answer.

You do not have to be running Xwindows to /install/ pan, but you must have it active to start pan.

As previously suggested, if you are only running the login terminal window, and X is not running, try using "startx". If that does not work you may not even have X installed/configured. That would be a separate issue not related to pan, but a requisite for pan to function.