pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Size of PAN - Re: ANN: Pan 0.14.2.90 "A Bouquet of Corps

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Size of PAN - Re: ANN: Pan 0.14.2.90 "A Bouquet of Corpses"
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2003 20:02:56 -0700

Wolf J. Flywheel posted <address@hidden>, excerpted
below,  on Sat, 29 Nov 2003 17:10:04 -0500:

> On Saturday 29 November 2003 12:56, Brian Morrison wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 04:50:01 -0700 in
>> address@hidden Duncan
>> <address@hidden>
>>
>> wrote:
>> > Here:  9616609
>> >
>> > Even bigger.  However, I've enabled spellcheck which probably adds a
>> > bit, and that's 64-bit amd64 compiled, which adds a bit as well.
>>
>> RH 7.3, gtkspell enabled, 3802423 with --strip=no passed to
>> checkinstall
>>
>> About 1/3rd the size of yours for no reason I can imagine.
>
>       The folks with huge binaries... could they maybe have used static
>       linking
> for some reason?  I've seen that get turned on during some compiles,
> often for no reason that I can determine.

Just checked mine.  ldd still says it loads a whole host of shared files,
so it's not static linked AFAIK.  Someone mentioned readelf here.  That's
the first time I've seen it mentioned (so thanks for the hint!), so I
don't really know what I'm doing with it, but it DOES appear to list
thousands of symbols in the various tables.  I'm inclined to think that's
it.  If whoever it was that mentioned readelf (or someone else, for that
matter) would care to explain it a bit, perhaps we could nail down for
sure what it is.  (I see it has a manpage, but haven't more than glanced
at it as I was called into work early 2day just as I was going to bed, so
haven't slept in nearly 24 hours, and am in no state to go wading thru
unfamiliar manpages!  <g>)

Benjamin Franklin