pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: Too many connections error

From: Steven Adeff
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: Too many connections error
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 08:13:21 -0400

On 4/7/06, Duncan <address@hidden> wrote:
> Ron Pepper posted
> <address@hidden>, excerpted
> below,  on Thu, 06 Apr 2006 22:04:21 -0700:
>
> > Got this error when selecting more than 4 binaries to download in
> > Pan:<br><br>sbcglobal handshake failed: 400 Too Many Connections [Members
> > allows 3 per host/0 per feed (0 == nolimit)] (Twister v2.1.1.371)<br><br>I
> > don't think it's an sbc limit because I can select a much larger number
> > from a mac on the same network running another newreader. I searched the
> > Pan archive and found reference to this issue, but didn't find the
> > solution. Could someone point me in the right direction?
>
> First, please turn of the HTML.  PAN doesn't do HTML for a reason!  (I
> understand you may not have been aware it was posting that way, that's
> why I'm asking.)
>
> As for the error...
>
> PAN, unlike many newsreaders (probably including the other newsreader you
> tested), makes more than one connection to the server at a time.  In
> accordance with accepted norms (see the GNKSA link on the PAN home page),
> it can make use of up to four connections at once, to each configured
> server.
>
> You can, however, configure the number of connections allowed for each
> server.  I'm not running the 0.9x series yet, but once you understand how

wait, my news server lets me make 8 connections, so will Pan only make
4 connections even if I tell it to make more?

Also, how "smart" is Pan in this regard. Say I'm downloading some
binaries and decide I want to peruse another group. If I elect to
download headers what will 0.9x do, wait for the binaries to finish or
use a connection percentage to download the headers?

--
Steve