pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Re: Re: Too many connections error

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Re: Re: Too many connections error
Date: Sat, 08 Apr 2006 04:38:40 -0700

Rinaldi J. Montessi posted <address@hidden>, excerpted
below,  on Fri, 07 Apr 2006 13:12:14 -0400:

>  What is the benefit of having more connections?
> Regardless of number we're limited by our particular bandwidth cap, yes?

Yes, but as I explained in the earlier post, an individual user's pipe may
have a much higher cap than the per connection cap of the particular news
server.

An example is my ISP, Cox.  My pipe's download bandwidth is 6Mbps.  Cox
provides two news servers, each of which is limited to 4 connections, with
each connection limited to 384kbps.  That means if I can use the full four
connections, I can get 1.5Mbps from each server, 3Mbps total off the two
servers, which is still only half my internet pipe's capped bandwidth.  If
I am limited to a single connection, that's only 384kbps per server, less
than a single Mbps total, crap for what's billed as a 6Mbps connection.
(Of course, 3Mbps max and to get that having to jump thru hoops to use 4
connections each on two servers, is crap as well, but that aside...)

Of course, as I also mentioned earlier, for those without individual
connection bandwidth caps, more connections (at least more than about two,
two might allow better use of bandwidth in the split seconds between
completion of one segment download and the beginning of the second, as the
other connection can use the time productively) means /less/ efficiency,
because of the per connection overhead, so where there are no
per-connection caps, too many connections is simply a waste.

(Noting here that Charles confirmed that the connection limit is
configurable by editing a text file in .9x.)