pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 0.92 amd64

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 0.92 amd64
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 06:47:09 -0700

Thomas Stein posted <address@hidden>, excerpted
below,  on Mon, 24 Apr 2006 14:54:07 +0200:

> On Tuesday 18 April 2006 13:09, Duncan wrote:
>
>> Note that gcc is slotted.  You can therefore unmask 4.1.0 and merge it, if
>> desired, and use gcc-config/eselect to switch between versions.  I /know/
>> 4.1.0 compiles it just fine -- and in less than a third of a gig of
>> memory, too!
>
> Me wrote:
>> Okay, i think i will install gcc 4.1. Thanks so far Duncan.
>
> And that solved the problem. Running pan-0.94 compiled with gcc-4.1.0.

=8^)  Thanks for the solution report!  If one route's blocked, bypass it
by choosing another!  =8^)

Don't forget... now you need to keep track of which gcc is selected and
remember to switch back to whatever you decide to use as your "normal"
one, after you finish compiling whatever you had switched to the alternate
one for.

Also, gcc 4.0 and 4.1 are /mostly/ libstdc++ compatible with 3.4.x, but
there are a few exceptions.  As a KDE user, the one I came across most
often was a problem trying to run khtml (therefore konqueror, khelpcenter,
kweather, the ones I know about) compiled with gcc 4.x, when the system
was pointed at a gcc 3.4.x.  Once my entire system was compiled with 4.x,
the problem seemed to disappear.  (It's also possible that a KDE upgrade
solved it, as there've been a couple since then.)  So... be aware of that
possibility as you compile pieces of your system with 4.x.