pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: Re: Re: Re: 0.92 amd64

From: Per Hedeland
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: Re: Re: Re: 0.92 amd64
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 22:58:40 +0200 (CEST)

Thomas Stein <address@hidden> wrote:

>On Tuesday 18 April 2006 13:09, Duncan wrote:
>
>> Note that gcc is slotted.  You can therefore unmask 4.1.0 and merge it, if
>> desired, and use gcc-config/eselect to switch between versions.  I /know/
>> 4.1.0 compiles it just fine -- and in less than a third of a gig of
>> memory, too!
>
>Me wrote:
>> Okay, i think i will install gcc 4.1. Thanks so far Duncan.
>
>And that solved the problem. Running pan-0.94 compiled with gcc-4.1.0.

Was this the problem with compiling scorefile-test? Installing a new
compiler may have been good for other reasons, but I'd say it was
serious overkill for this... Compiling that file worked for me on
earlier builds, but when I did 0.94 I apparently was a bit low on
memory, and after cc1plus had been running for 6+ CPU *minutes* (800 MHz
PIII) at 400-450 MB, it apparently wanted more and got killed.

Dropping the -O2 it built in 8 CPU *seconds* at ~ 9 MB, and the result
still runs to completion in less that 30 ms (just in case anyone wants
to actually run it - it's a test program, not part of pan itself), so I
think that would be a useful change, to save some headaches for future
builders...

--Per