pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: How do you point Pan to use another directory?

From: Ufuk YILDIRIM
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: How do you point Pan to use another directory?
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 16:23:49 +0300

2008/6/26 Duncan <address@hidden>:
"Ufuk YILDIRIM" <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted
below, on  Wed, 25 Jun 2008 17:18:21 +0300:

> After having decided to tidy up my hard drives, I now have a separate
> partition for my profiles of net related applications (i.e., Firefox,
> Thunderbird). I want to put the .pan2 folder there too but I don't know
> how to point Pan to use this new location. Is it possible? If so, how
> would I do that?
>
> I use M$ windoze and Pan 0.132.

Easy, set a symlink... Oh, MSWormOS...

More seriously, while a symlink will work (on *ix anyway), there's a
better way with new-pan (pan2).  Set and export the environmental
variable PAN_HOME to point to the appropriate directory before starting
pan, and it should read it and load any config and data it sees there,
instead of using the default .pan2 dir.  That should work anywhere pan
works.

OTOH, I can't tell you how to set an environmental var on MSWormOS beyond
'98.  Ideally, you could set it by configuring the shortcut, but if
that's not possible and you don't already know, better check with someone
that's more familiar with newer MS.

--
Duncan - List replies preferred.   No HTML msgs.
and if you use the program, he is your master."  Richard Stallman

Thank you for the reply Duncan. I moved the .pan2 folder to the new location and
pan seems to be working ok generally (below are the steps I did to change PAN_HOME environment variable). However, I had some error messages saying it could not find some newsrc files. I don't know how serious the issue is yet. I checked the .pan2 directory and found out that servers.xml file has some entries for the old .pan2 location. Made the necessary changes there to point to the new location, now it works. However, I have two error messages.

1. Unable to save "H:\.pan2\groups\uk.rec.humour" Arg list too long
Dont know what exactly it is. It might be related to what I did earlier after moving to new loacation: I wanted to download all the articles in the said group. However, along the way, pan did stop downloading the articles. I closed the pan, when there were still tasks (not downloading for some reason). Whenever I run pan, it takes sometime compared to before (though not that long).

2. Error setting spellchecker: aspell: No word lists can be found for the language "en_US". Have no idea about this.

Once again, thanks for pointing to the right direction (setting the PAN_HOME environment variable). I think this is how I solved the problem:

1. Right click on my computer
2. Properties
3. Go to Advanced tab
4. Click on Environment Variables at the bottom
5. Click on New under System Variables and Add PAN_HOME for the Variable name and x:\new\location\for\.pan2 for Variable value.
6. OK and OK and OK