pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: Many Binaries Cannot Be Shown In Pan

From: Scott Pettigrew
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: Many Binaries Cannot Be Shown In Pan
Date: Sat, 2 Jan 2010 19:37:28 -0500

Wow, Travis, thanks for advancing the conversation and putting me in
my place.  At first I got really mad and wrote a much snarkier reply,
but thought better of it.  I hope you accept my apologies for my
previous transgressions.  I can only hope this message is correctly
formatted and will not further grump-ify you.

I have now compiled the code from the github on two fairly fresh
Ubuntu systems, and have (I think) perfected the art of chasing down
the requisite programs & libraries.  The following is a complete list
of commands that I used to accomplish the build.  Note that I install
the package-maintainer's version of Pan so that I more easily get the
menu items, etc.

$ sudo apt-get install pan git git-core gnome-common libgtk2.0-dev
libpcre3-dev libgmime-2.4-dev
$ cd ~
$ mkdir src
$ cd src
$ git clone git://github.com/lostcoder/pan2.git
$ cd pan2
$ sh ./autogen.sh --prefix=/home/<MY USER NAME>
$ make
$ make install
$ cd /usr/bin
$ sudo mv pan pan.OLD
$ sudo cp /home/scottkuma/bin/pan .
$ sudo chown root: pan

I've documented this along with some explanation of why I did certain
commands at my blog:  http://scottkuma.net

I hope this helps some folks who love the program as much as I do, and
who felt as lost as I did when it didn't work out of the box in Karmic
Koala!!

--
Best Regards -

Scott Pettigrew