pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: Many Binaries Cannot Be Shown In Pan

From: Travis
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: Many Binaries Cannot Be Shown In Pan
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2010 16:04:49 -0800

From: "john wendel" <address@hidden>
Sent: Sunday, January 03, 2010 3:55 PM
To: <address@hidden>

On 01/03/2010 03:42 PM, Timothy J. Hamilton wrote:
On Sat January 2 2010 19:37:28 Scott Pettigrew wrote:
Wow, Travis, thanks for advancing the conversation and putting me in
my place.  At first I got really mad and wrote a much snarkier reply,
but thought better of it.  I hope you accept my apologies for my
previous transgressions.  I can only hope this message is correctly
formatted and will not further grump-ify you.

I have now compiled the code from the github on two fairly fresh
Ubuntu systems, and have (I think) perfected the art of chasing down
the requisite programs&  libraries.  The following is a complete list
of commands that I used to accomplish the build.  Note that I install
the package-maintainer's version of Pan so that I more easily get the
menu items, etc.

$ sudo apt-get install pan git git-core gnome-common libgtk2.0-dev
libpcre3-dev libgmime-2.4-dev
$ cd ~
$ mkdir src
$ cd src
$ git clone git://github.com/lostcoder/pan2.git
$ cd pan2
$ sh ./autogen.sh --prefix=/home/<MY USER NAME>
$ make
$ make install
$ cd /usr/bin
$ sudo mv pan pan.OLD
$ sudo cp /home/scottkuma/bin/pan .
$ sudo chown root: pan

I've documented this along with some explanation of why I did certain
commands at my blog:  http://scottkuma.net

I hope this helps some folks who love the program as much as I do, and
who felt as lost as I did when it didn't work out of the box in Karmic
Koala!!

<<SNIP>>

HTML formatted messages are frowned upon here.
--
Travis in Shoreline Washington

Travis,

Thank you, thank you. I was hoping somebody would post idiot-friendly
instructions. I followed your directions and VOILA!!! I have a pan
installation that behaves itself.

FWIW, Pan as it is packaged for Suse 11.2 displays multipart jpegs just fine.

I was hoping Ubuntu would package a version in Lucid Lynx that would display multipart jpegs correctly. Maybe if the Ubuntu users on this list would post bug reports& comments in the forums, Lucid would be released with a better
version.

tim

Allow me to add my thanks also. Fedora doesn't seem to be picking up the latest patches, so I'll be using your instructions soon to build my own. I guess we'll see if they're really "idiot-friendly".

Thank Scott Pettigrew not me.
--
Travis in Shoreline Washington