pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] To explain why I'm unwilling to up date my glib/gtk+/etc

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] To explain why I'm unwilling to up date my glib/gtk+/etc libs ATM…
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2011 20:45:26 +0000 (UTC)

SciFi posted on Mon, 04 Jul 2011 20:16:07 +0000 as excerpted:

> (4)  I have not seen any worthwhile updates to the Apple-provided GCC
> family at all, during most of this year.  Of course the *ix world has
> moved on far-past gcc-4.2.1, yet that's the "newest" "official" gcc
> we've got and will continue to have, ISTM.  Yes there /are/ problems
> with Apple's gcc-4.2.1, glitches in some compiled code that seem to
> exist over many years, actually.

FWIW, Apple flat refuses to go newer gcc, as newer gcc switched to gplv3
and they flat-refuse that.  So they're stuck with older versions.  That's
why they suddenly got the the BSD licensed compiler religion as well,
thus the major investments to move llvm, clang, etc, forward.

That's the underlying issue probably at the heart of many of the others,
as well.

One could use this opportunity to steer the discussion toward either the
relative merits of GPLv3 vs GPLv2, or the problems inherent with /any/
dependency on "servantware" and its masters in the context of the quote
of my signature, but I'll abstain... except to comment that it's one of
the big reasons I'm so personally insistent on 100% freedomware for my
systems -- I "did my time" on servantware and have absolutely NO interest
in "doing more time" in that environment.  But others must make their own
decisions... and live with the results, as I must live with my own.  I
may try to persuade but I'm not going to make that decision for them,
neither would I if I could, because freedom isn't free if one's not free
to choose something else and live with the results that choice brings.