pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] To explain why I'm unwilling to up date my glib/gtk+/etc

From: Paul Crawford
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] To explain why I'm unwilling to up date my glib/gtk+/etc libs ATM…
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2011 16:23:20 +0100

On 06/07/11 15:27, Duncan wrote:
??  Why would you need to reboot to change the especially the wifi
driver?  On a liveCD it'd be a loaded module, which should be unloadable,
and then the one you want to try loaded.

Because most distros, certainly for those unsure of using Linux (e.g. Ubuntu), offer just a 'download and install' option for detected propitiatory drivers that do so.

If you are sufficiently skilled and knowledgeable to manually get and load the appropriate drivers, then I doubt you need my advice!

Um... you jumped from discussing live* versions, which don't normally
need to use installed storage (tho they can if desired), to splitting the
disk for a regular install, without any indication of the switch...

So just to be clear, this point (and below it) applies if you're actually
installing, but NOT just to run a live* version off the CD/DVD/external-
USB-storage, since for running the live* version, you don't need to
modify what's on the present disk at all.

Yes, you don't *need* to install or modify your system to see if it works. But if you do like it, then before you proceed to doing so, consider my points.

I had assumed the main point of the live CD/USB was to 'try before you buy' for those not decided, or sure their hardware would work.

Other than a firewall-like PC, running from CD is a bit tedious due to the disk access times so you are unlikely to use it for much that way, and installing updates and any significant packages is just not practical (with the same assumption about skill+effort as above).

Sorry if that was not apparent from what I wrote!

Regards,
Paul
--
Dr. Paul S. Crawford