pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] what I need to do to "jump ship" (Re: To explain why I

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] what I need to do to "jump ship" (Re: To explain why I'm unwilling to update my g lib/gtk+/etc libs ATM…)
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 08:10:40 +0000 (UTC)

SciFi posted on Thu, 28 Jul 2011 06:03:11 +0000 as excerpted:

> I am recalling a few details I've had in my long history when dealing
> with other people's PC machines especially the owner/friend of a house I
> was renting (he had a brain aneurysm and passed away several years ago).
> His PC was full of lil interface chips made mostly by VIA.
> Some chips were from other makers.
> Usually a BIOS upgrade will take care of all those chips as well but I
> found many lil firmware-upgrade pgms on the vendor's websites depending
> on the part-numbers on those chips.
> (That's why I say EVERYTHING has firmware in it these days.)
> I had to take-apart his machine to inspect them by eyeball (verify
> part-numbers etc).
> And sure-'nuf most of his chips were quite back-level.
> What's more, the descriptions of the upgrades were mostly spot-on with
> the problems he was having.
> So the "fixes" were not in win-xp (at the time)
> nor in the BIOS upgrades but in the chips themselves.
> I had logged every single itty-bitty thing I did,
> esp'ly how to dig-thru the vendor's websites etc,
> but of course nowadays those notes are all lost.
> I couldn't explain to anyone just how much work I have LOST since no-one
> would deal with the situations I was in (medically etc).
>
> Anyway, for my current project of "jumping off Apple's ship",
> I need that level detail on whatever hardware I'm to be buying because I
> do not want to be in that kind of situation.

It's not /that/ level of detail, but FWIW...

I've been extremely happy with the tyan s2885 mobo I bought back in 2003,
which is still going today.  I'm shooting for a decade! =:^)  Dual-socket
Opteron, certified with several Linux distros of the era, and with actual
Linux support (I emailed them about a couple things).  They even supplied
a sensors.conf file for the board!

And what greatly impressed me was that while a lot of vendors forced
users to by new hardware to get BIOS upgrades for the dual-cores when
they came out, Tyan supplied the necessary BIOS updates for many of their
systems! =:^)

The manual (and web-site info, pre-purchase) came with the model number
of all of the major onboard chips and subsystems, too.

Not all Tyan's products are so well Linux supported but I believe some of
them still are, and finding that sort of info is FAR easier than taking
the cover off a machine pre-purchase to look at not only the supplied
chip models (as Tyan listed on-site and in-manual), but apparently,
stepping-numbers and/or production serials, as well (NOT supplied on-site
in-manual, but from your description the level you were going to).

That board was an AMD primary chipset, pre-ATI-purchase.  I'm not sure
how they work that now (post-ATI-merger), but back then, AMD would come
out with the first chipsets supporting a major new CPU family, and about
two years later, ATI/nVidia/Via would follow.  AMD's chipsets never had
the absolute latest features (I only got onboard USB-1, for instance,
when USB-2 was out and shipping on some non-Opteron boards already, but
the only chipset for Opterons at the time was AMD's), but the *WERE*
solidly supported by all the OSs and widely available in boards from
various manufacturers, because as I said, that tended to be the only way
to support new AMD CPUs at the time.

But regardless of GENERAL chipset support, again, not all board vendors
bothered providing dual-core BIOS updates.  Tyan did, for many (tho not
all) of their Opteron products.

Of course, part of that higher level of support comes from the grade of
board it was.  It was an over $400 board, even shopping thru
pricewatch.com.  But somewhat more generically, it was a server-class
board (dual-sockets do tend to be so), coming at a server-class price,
but also with server-class support!  Still, compared to the competition,
Tyan was far and away the best choice and best Linux support out there,
even at the $400-$500 board quality level.

(This was BEFORE MS had a full release amd64/x86_64 OS out there, tho
they had betas.  Despite that fact, of the four boards that fit my
general requirements that I researched, one vendor had no web presence at
all that I or google could find, a second had some presence but IIRC it
was Chinese-only, and the first runner-up, MSI, had an English web site
but all their board docs, BIOS updates, etc, were in MS executable
format, probably self-extracting-exe, but I didn't bother checking!  I
scratched around on the MSI site and wrote them an email, telling them
exactly why they lost my purchase, that MS didn't even have an OS
released yet for the platform, yet all their files were MS executables.
Not only that, how were even MS users to know that a cracker hadn't
gotten access and replaced all the pdfs, zip files, etc, with
executables!  Whether my individual mail made a difference or not I don't
know, but a few months later, the MSI site was back to standard PDFs, zip-
files, etc, the only executables to be seen were MS platform hardware-
bundled-software, so SOMETHING made a difference!  Meanwhile, I wrote to
Tyan explaining why they got my purchase, as well. =:^)

FWIW, if you're in the market for something closer to a full system, Tyan
sells those, too.  In fact, I believe they're really a full-system vendor
that designs and makes available their own server-class mobos too, as a
sideline since they're already designing them for their own systems.

Meanwhile, Intel /generally/ has very good Linux support, at least.  They
have a number of mainline Linux kernel developers on their payroll, and
they apparently use Linux for their early development and hardware-bring-
ups for stuff like USB-3, too.  As such, the mainline Linux kernel had
USB-3 support shipping before any other platform and before hardware was
publicly shipping as well (altho they were making limited engineering
samples available to the big players, MS, Dell, IBM, HP, Apple, Lenovo,
etc, by the time mainline support was complete, but preliminary support
was in even before that!).

I found out just how good Intel's hardware, acpi, etc, integration could
be, when I bought my netbook.  Generation 1.5 (or arguably 1.8), I got
one of the original Acer Aspire One machines.  This was before MS got
their grubby hands on things and ruined the whole netbook scene, but
after netbooks had started shipping with reasonable sized traditional
drives (my requirements included a standard SATA connection and at least
100 gig drive capacity, this was one of the first models that had both;
it also had a "just right for me" 9" display, larger than the early 7"
models but still far more portable than the 10-12" models that soon were
being called netbooks, too).  It was before they had a purpose-designed
netbook chipset, so the chipset still used more power than the later ones
did, but by the same token, it missed out on Intel's most significant
recent missed-support in terms of Linux, the gma500 poulsbo graphics
introduced with gen-2 netbooks.  The problem was that Intel outsourced
the pinetop graphics from another vendor (I could lookup the name but
it's not important info for this post) *WITHOUT* ensuring that they had
sufficient contracted permissions to release open drivers or specs to
develop them.  This was a HUGE mistake, but it's the exception that
proves the rule, that Intel is generally very good working with Linux,
both in specs and support, and in directly sponsoring kernel developers
as well.

Anyway, MS was already encroaching and apparently had a contract with
Acer not to release Linux-based AA1s in the US, so I had to order mine
from Canada, since I was NOT going to buy MS -- I'd have rather skipped
the purchase entirely.  And I'm glad I got it while I could, given that
as I explained, six months or so later, pretty much all that was
available was poulsbo based systems, which are still a Linux graphics
problem today, altho the kernel 3.0 gma500 module is said to have good 2D
support now, but still extremely buggy OpenGL/3D.  (However, none-other
than the man who was for many years named as Linus' #2, Alan Cox, is the
primary gma500 developer, I'm sure because after Intel realized the bind
they put themselves in, they wanted the best possible to try to get them
out of it!)

But get it with Linux I did, altho only Linpus Linux, a Fedora clone
somewhat popular in Taiwan and China, but not a great choice for the
western world.  Still, it was functional, and got me thru the bad-bios-
flash incident on my main machine (I had bad memory that corrupted the
flash process).  But now it runs Gentoo, built in a 32-bit chroot on my
main machine, the Tyan. =:^)

But nearly all (all that I'm aware of, with the gma500 exception, but I
learned many years ago the wisdom of being wary of claims using words
like "all", without qualification, since just one exception no matter how
narrow then disproves the claim) the rest of Intel's recent technology is
mainline Linux supported, straight out of the box.  Among other things,
this includes the RAID hardware as found on some of Intel's chipsets.

Anyway, the point I intended to make about the netbook was that the
chipset, etc, are all Intel, and 100% supported by mainline Linux,
including all the acpi functionality (function keys for display
brightness, toggling, volume control, etc, all "just work"), full speed-
step support, problem free suspend (to RAM) and hibernate (to disk),
etc.  Until I bought it, all the Linux machines I'd used could generally
have such features eventually made to work, but it always required custom
configurations, etc, and that's one thing that the Tyan still doesn't
always manage to recover from, hibernate (it doesn't suspend-to-RAM at
all, presently, the problem with hibernate tho is slow to properly
activate disks, which are still stabilizing when the system tries to
restore so it looks to Linux like the disks got changed out over the
hibernate and it kicks them out of the RAID!).

Meanwhile, Via is definitely notorious for the problems they have with
Linux... or actually, in general, tho given the MS Windows-side black-
box, generally the only way people know there's a problem there is when
they compare performance to decent hardware -- it's only on Linux (and
probably the BSDs that run on the hardware, if they run on it at all)
that it's obvious the hardware is limping alone, IO failure's and retries
or operating several notches down from the rated DMA speed or in PIO
instead of DMA mode, etc.