pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] GNKSA

From: Beartooth
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] GNKSA
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2011 19:24:54 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 04 Jul 2011 15:38:29 -0700, walt wrote:
        [....]
> Um, crap, I just sent an email to Jeroen at gnksa.org about exactly the
> same subject.  I'll bet he's already cursing the pan email list for
> causing him headaches.

        Maybe not. Look at part of his reply to Joe Zeff :

I don't think there's any other interest in updating it or even paying
any attention to it any longer.  I think it's now time for us to ask
                                                          ^^^^
ourselves if complying to an otherwise dead standard is in Pan's best
^^^^^^^^^                                                  ^^^^^
interests, and if not, what other changes are appropriate.

        Speaking as an erstwhile practitioner of both logic and
explication de text I'd say that need not, but may well, imply that he's
one of us -- at least as a user, maybe more -- and wishes Pan well.

        If he is and does (and maybe if not), meseems that changes the
topic just slightly. What can Pan can or have done to it to best help
mitigate the current (id est, twenty-teens') borasses of such usenet as
remains, while also being in our and Pan's best interests.

        Pushing the thought a step further, the list of all groups looks
to have a great many (greater yet among live groups) which are local, and
another great many that look to be ephemeral. Some universities seem to
put their whole course catalogs up as groups. There are vast numbers to
which only spam is posted, and some with no posts at all.

        I've just counted my subscriptions. I have 4 to news.opera.no, 10
to news.grc.com, 16 to usenet proper (of which 7 are local) -- and 24 to
gmane. That's just under 1/5 for all of alt, rec, and the rest.

        What does all this add up to? I conjecture that those of us who
make serious use of any newsreader do most of our reading in a few groups
of groups (primarily gmane, plus news.grc et al.), *which we probably
have largely in common* -- the groups of groups, if not the groups
themselves. We might want to try to optimize Pan, not for usenet in
general, but for the relatively few groups of groups.

        Am I making sense?

--
Beartooth Staffwright, Not Quite Clueless Power User