pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Mark all subscribed groups read?

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Mark all subscribed groups read?
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2011 01:51:35 +0000 (UTC)

Travis posted on Fri, 22 Jul 2011 10:59:43 -0700 as excerpted:

FWIW...

I haven't bugged you about it since I know that, and bugging you wouldn't
help you or me.  I also know you've worked some on switching to something
else tho I'm not sure what the current results are/were on that.  And MS
users of something like pan certainly get my respect as that's not the
easiest platform to use pan on nor is this list exactly the friendliest
environment for anything MS, alto at least personally I try not to take
out my feelings on MS on the poor MS users.

However, now that the subject has come up...

If you would simply use a separator of some sort (as you did above),
while the quote level highlighting still shows it as the same level, at
least there's /some/ visual distinction.

Personally, given the "---original message---" (non-literally quoted to
avoid confusion) type distinction WLM already includes, I'd probably make
the reply marker similar, but with reply instead: "---reply message---".

Or, use a line of >>>>>>>>>>, since key auto-repeat should make that
easy, and pan, etc, will probably see that as a quote level and at least
color that line, make it easy to pick out.

Another alternative would be to consider using pan itself, thru gmane.org
using its list2news gateway, to follow the list, thereby avoiding WLM for
it and possibly for other lists you may have.  A number of list regulars
(including me) do that, tho admittedly, if you think pan might break and
you'd need to use the list to get answers on fixing it, that would kind
of leave you between a rock and a hard place.  However, do note that "in
extremis", it's possible to use the gmane web interface to read and send
messages, and there have been occasions where I've had to do just that,
so even if you do use pan for reading/replying to the list normally, if
pan breaks, it's possible to use the gmane web interface temporarily.

Another variant on the web interface idea would be using gmail (or yahoo
mail or whatever, gmail just seems to have the mindshare).  Actually,
there's a lot of people that don't trust gmail for their private mail
that still use it for mailing lists, since presumably google can already
index mailing lists thru the various public web archives if they want,
anyway.  I might be one of them since that rather mirrors my own thinking
on the privacy side of things, but I much prefer a news interface to a
web interface for lists, and gmane is a near-perfect solution for me.
(The other thing about gmail is that I see a lot of webmail users, gmail
and otherwise, who have difficulty remembering to send plain text only,
and regulars here know how unpopular that is with other regulars, most
definitely including me.  I believe that most webmail including gmail can
be set to plain text only mode, but I've been told that some of them
don't make it the easiest thing in the world and that they force you to
do it for each message.  YMMV.)

So there are alternatives, from continuing to use WLM for the list and
simply using a >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> or ************ or ----reply message----
type delimiter, to using gmane for the list I and others already do, to
using gmail or something else for the list.  Any of them would lessen the
level of difficulty and frustration for your readers, trying to tell your
replies from what they're a reply to.  Hopefully that helps.  But
regardless, at least for me, while the current situation is a frustration
to untangle your reply from the original quote, I'd a whole lot rather
deal with that, at least for the relatively short replies you do (imagine
trying to do it with interleaved quote/reply message of the length I often
write!!), than try to cope with HTML messages.  So /please/ don't start
sending /those/, whatever solution you try! =8^0