pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Big XML files... (was Re: Re: Better processing of very

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Big XML files... (was Re: Re: Better processing of very large groups?)
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 08:00:46 +0000 (UTC)

Steven D'Aprano posted on Sun, 05 Jul 2009 12:56:01 +1000 as excerpted:

>> 90+% of the people using Tbird still use mbox...
>
> Like I said, old dinosaurs.
>
> A few months back, I broke my Kmail config, and decided I'd check out
> Thunderbird (I haven't used it since it was part of Netscape 3). I gave
> it a good go, I really did, but it felt like I was being asked to do
> carpentry with my hands cuffed together and a small monkey riding on my
> back hitting me with over-ripe bananas.
>
> I wouldn't say it is unusable, but I think it's aimed at users whose
> expectations are lower than mine.
>
> That's not to say that Kmail doesn't have its problems too... all
> software sucks, it's just that some sucks less than others.

OK, I'm rereading this thread based on the current sqlite solution
discussion, and...

What do you think of the new, akonadified (and thus sqlite, mysql, or the
experimental postgresql backends) kmail?

FWIW, I had maintained a wait-and-see attitude thru 4.4 and 4.5 with the
kaddressbook switch to akonadi (for 4.4), waiting to see what kmail2
would be like with its switch.

When kdepim 4.6.0 and 4.6.1 came out, with the new akonadified kmail2, I
tried them/it.  Suffice it to say that after 9 years on kmail (since kde2
era), with MSOE archives imported into kmail when I switched that go back
another five or so...

I switched to claws-mail and couldn't be happier.  After setting up a
second claws-mail instance with its feed-reader plugin (wrapper script to
set a couple variables to keep them separate, I don't really want my mail
and feeds in the same app-instance, but when the app works as well as it
does, different instances of the same app, same general UI and hotkey
setup, etc, are nice) to replace akregator as well, I was able to totally
kill kdepim and eliminate the scourge from my system!

The data conversion from kmail wasn't easy, both the addressbook and
message import scripts were a bit stale and needed a bit of tweaking to
work, but they did, and I had to convert my 50-ish mail-filters by hand
as I couldn't find a script for that, but the experience wasn't really
worse than the kmail upgrade conversion experience, which was buggy too
even tho they'd essentially frozen kdepim for an extra year to work on
it.  And unlike the kmail upgrade, the claws-mail conversion was actually
worth it, and *THEN* some! =:^)

I guess I can count myself lucky that kmail proved a useful solution for
so long, but eventually it had to end.  Hopefully claws remains equally
useful (actually, it's already more so) over an even longer period.

What I'd like to know tho and what's of interest for this list, is how
claws-mail, with its mh-format (precursor to maildir, single plain-text-
message per file) mail storage, maintains the speed and slim memory
footprint it does.  Pan and claws-mail actually have similar data store
sizes here, but there's no comparison in especially cold-system-cache
startup speed.

What sort of indexing, trees, and message-thread-processing does claws-
mail use to be so fast and memory-slim, and what can pan learn from it
for its own use?

One thing claws-mail seems to do is single-thread its mail downloads,
serially checking each configured account in turn.  Obviously, that's not
going to work for pan, but pan could sure learn from however claws-mail
handles its startup, since claws-mail starts in seemingly no-time,
certainly compared to pan with an 800 MB cache.

And claws-mail isn't using sqlite or similar database to manage things,
either.  In fact, that's one of the reasons I dumped kmail once it
akonadified.  I didn't need a singing, dancing, combined database kontact
sub-app like it seems everything kdepim related is becoming; I just
wanted an email app that handled mail, and did it well, without all the
unnecessary bells and whistles and singing and dancing, as that only got
in the way (and made the app *WAY* more complex and unreliable) for what
I needed it to do.

And claws-mail does what I want and more, plain-text, highly customizable
(its hotkey dump is about twice the size of pan's accels.txt, for
example, and its external command invocation allows scripting actions,
filters, etc, if it doesn't have a builtin solution for what you want),
and it's **FAST**!!

I've actually setup a third claws-mail instance, for news, too.  But
unfortunately, unlike claws' mail functionality, the news functionality
is barely documented, and from my limited experiments so far, it's way
more limited than pan, tho I still might eventually end up switching my
text groups over, basically gmane, which is all I tend to use pan for
these days anyway as I don't have a paid news-provider account ATM.  I'd
still keep pan around at least initially, in case I ever got back into
binaries, but given claws-mail's speed on mail at least and memory
footprint, if it's even close to that for text groups, it could well be
worth the switch for them.