pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Big XML files... (was Re: Re: Better processing of very

From: Steven D'Aprano
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Big XML files... (was Re: Re: Better processing of very large groups?)
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 10:31:37 +1100

Duncan wrote:
Steven D'Aprano posted on Sun, 05 Jul 2009 12:56:01 +1000 as excerpted:

90+% of the people using Tbird still use mbox...
Like I said, old dinosaurs.

A few months back, I broke my Kmail config, and decided I'd check out
Thunderbird (I haven't used it since it was part of Netscape 3). I gave
it a good go, I really did, but it felt like I was being asked to do
carpentry with my hands cuffed together and a small monkey riding on my
back hitting me with over-ripe bananas.

I wouldn't say it is unusable, but I think it's aimed at users whose
expectations are lower than mine.

That's not to say that Kmail doesn't have its problems too... all
software sucks, it's just that some sucks less than others.

OK, I'm rereading this thread based on the current sqlite solution discussion, and...

What do you think of the new, akonadified (and thus sqlite, mysql, or the experimental postgresql backends) kmail?

You mean kmail in KDE 4.x?

Let me know when KDE 4 gets out of pre-beta, and I'll consider using it. My wife has been the guinea pig for me (although she's starting to make rumbling noises about upgrading back to KDE 3 on threat of me sleeping in the backseat of the car) and I'm not impressed. It seems to me that nearly all the development effort has been spent on making KDE full of shiny chrome and hardly any effort on making it actually *work* and be *useful*.

KDE was already a much more complex desktop environment than Gnome (which was a good thing, as Gnome is dumbed down to the point of pain) but KDE 4 turns the complexity up to 11 and the usefulness down to 5.

I'm very interested in the Trinity desktop (fork of KDE 3), but currently am sticking with KDE 3, and will do so as long as I possibly can. Maybe by the time KDE reaches 4.9 it might be as functional and stable as 3.5, but I doubt it.

--
Steven