pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Linux Pan crashes on exit on x64 system.

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Linux Pan crashes on exit on x64 system.
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2017 06:02:12 +0000 (UTC)

Zan Lynx posted on Sat, 25 Mar 2017 17:06:04 -0600 as excerpted:

> On 3/25/2017 4:52 PM, Duncan wrote:
>> x64... is unfortunately somewhat ambiguous.
>>
>> Is this x64 the newish unholy and problematic 64-bit/32-bit amalgam
>> that's 64-bit kernel and IIRC some kernel calls but otherwise 32-bit
>> userspace?  If so, that may be the problem as that's fairly new and
>> uncommon and won't have been debugged very well (similar to amd64 aka
>> x86_64 in ~ 2005).
>
> See
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7635013/difference-between-x86-x32-
and-x64-architectures

> x86 is the traditional Intel 32 bit architecture. x64 is used for the
> AMD64, which is what all common AMD and Intel 64 bit processors are
> today. x32 is AMD64 but only using 32 bit pointers. IA64 is Itanium.

But the x64 name, due to its ambiguous use for other archs, never took
off at least in the Linux context, where what you call x64 is generally
referred to as either amd64 or x86_64.

Meanwhile, x32 is what I referred to as that unholy come-lately amalgam
(but couldn't remember the name of), and of course ia64 is itanic/itanium.

So using x64 in the Linux context marks you as possibly a Microsofty
(where I believe it /is/ commonly used for x86_64), and in any case, as
someone who doesn't know enough about what they're talking about in the
Linux context to use the more common x86_64 or amd64 terms, if indeed
that's what they're talking about at all, not ia64 or x32.