Re: Citation requirement and the GPL

From: Martin Møller Skarbiniks Pedersen
Subject: Re: Citation requirement and the GPL
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2016 01:08:09 +0200

On 27 March 2016 at 23:35, Christopher Jefferson <chris@bubblescope.net> wrote:

I am happy to accept that, but I feel that this requirement violates
the GPL, the GPL FAQ specifically covers this case:

Nope.
I don't think you are right saying that the GPL FAQ in this section http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.en.html#RequireCitation
covers the GNU parallel case.
The difference is that the GPL FAQ uses the words "_require_ citation"

However
GNU parallel says _please. It does not say you _must_ or _shall_. It says "please" and Ole wrote that you "should". He didn't know write "must".

More precise GNU parallel says as the first line:
"Academic tradition requires you to cite works you base your article on."
I think and hope that you agree on that statement.

And the second line:
"When using programs that use GNU Parallel to process data for publication
please cite:"

_please cite_

Regards
Martin M. S. Pedersen