pengfork-devel

Re: [Pengfork-devel] Work state

From: Jean-Charles Salzeber
Subject: Re: [Pengfork-devel] Work state
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 00:02:09 +0200

On Sun, Aug 25, 2002 at 22:29, Nicolas Burrus wrote:
> On Saturday 24 August 2002 16:38, Jean-Charles Salzeber wrote:
> > Just for information are
> >
> > cat </dev/net/tun
>
> # cat </dev/net/tun
> cat: -: File descriptor in bad state
>
> > ifconfig tun0 10.0.0.1 10.0.0.2 up
>
> # ifconfig tun0 10.0.0.1 10.0.0.2 up
> SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
> tun0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device

Grrr... you've got the same error as me! ;)

AFAIK this commands should work. Your tun device isn't working, as me.
If you try running vtun it will not work, as all program using the tun
device.

I've investigated the problem, currently no good answer to say what
happens. I've looked at the vtun mailing-list for similar problems,
but never see a good reply that suit my configuration.
What kernel version do you use?
As far as I remember my tun device were working some month?/years? ago.

Help to solve this problem is very welcome since I'm locked on Linux.
I will develop on OpenBSD until I find the solution.

> Just a little remark, prot30_send_packet in prot30.c seems to call
> buffer_alloc quite late, and I don't understand why buffer_alloc does not
> extend the buffer if necessary.

Humm... you 're right, the name buffer_alloc isn't a suitable name. The
memory isn't allocated. This just modify the 'used' field on the buffer.
buffer_alloc can be done every where in the function after the
buffer_end.

> Will the code be imported in CVS soon ?

Don't know. I'm a bit disapointed because my work has been slowed down
with a stupid problem for now few days.
It can be imported at any time, if you wish to help me and agreed with
the global design.
Before doing this we have to find a better directory structure and
perhaps start to hack an autoconf/automake file.

Currently my directory structure is:
pengfork
  + include
  + src
      + linux
      + openbsd
      + freebsd

But if we plan to make a 'pengctl',a gui program where will we put them?
as separate modules?