pengfork-devel

Re: [Pengfork-devel] Cvs remark

From: Jean-Charles Salzeber
Subject: Re: [Pengfork-devel] Cvs remark
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 11:04:48 +0200

On Wed, Aug 28, 2002 at 09:51, Nicolas Burrus wrote:
> On Wednesday 28 August 2002 01:35, Jean-Charles Salzeber wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 27, 2002 at 16:57, Nicolas Burrus wrote:
> > > Because of cvs timestamps problem with auto* generated scripts, I've
> > > removed all Makefile.in, configure and config/* stuff. Please run
> > > autoreconf -fvi or read README.cvs after checkout.
> >
> > I'm not sure to understand.
>
> Well, I give you the details :
>
> autoconf tries to regenerate Makefile.in's, configure, etc ... when
> Makefile.am's seems older than configure.ac. So if I commit Makefile.am's
> before configure.ac, cvs store the timestamps, and then when you checkout,
> you have a configure.ac which seems newer than Makefile.am's, so it will
> launch autoconf and regenerate new Makefile.in's and configure. This is quite
> annoying if you don't have exactly the same automake than mine, it will
> complain, etc ...
>
> So the solution is not to add Makefile.in's and configure to CVS, and let
> developpers run autoreconf and generate their files. When releasing, make
> dist creates a good tarball with all scripts ready.
>
> > I can't create configure.
> > It seems that config.h.in is missing on CVS.
>
> Run autoREconf -fiv and give me feedback if it does not work.
>
> --
> Nicolas

Sorry, mea culpa.
I didn't verify that my automake was 1.6!

Just two remarks:
  * Do we really need 1.6, it seems quite recent, it is not on the woody
distribution
  * I feel the compilation process is a bit unreadable:
source='p30tcpip.c' object='p30tcpip.o' libtool=no \
depfile='.deps/p30tcpip.Po' tmpdepfile='.deps/p30tcpip.TPo' \
depmode=gcc /bin/sh ../config/depcomp \
gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -I../include -I..    -g -Wall -c `test
-f 'p30tcpip.c' || echo './'`p30tcpip.c

Can't it be cleaned?

JC