pengfork-devel

Re: [Pengfork-devel] Cvs remark

From: Nicolas Burrus
Subject: Re: [Pengfork-devel] Cvs remark
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 11:27:35 +0200

On Wednesday 28 August 2002 11:04, you wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 28, 2002 at 09:51, Nicolas Burrus wrote:
> > >
> > > I'm not sure to understand.
> >
> > Well, I give you the details :
> >
> > autoconf tries to regenerate Makefile.in's, configure, etc ... when
> > Makefile.am's seems older than configure.ac. So if I commit Makefile.am's
> > before configure.ac, cvs store the timestamps, and then when you
> > checkout, you have a configure.ac which seems newer than Makefile.am's,
> > so it will launch autoconf and regenerate new Makefile.in's and
> > configure. This is quite annoying if you don't have exactly the same
> > automake than mine, it will complain, etc ...
> >
> > So the solution is not to add Makefile.in's and configure to CVS, and let
> > developpers run autoreconf and generate their files. When releasing, make
> > dist creates a good tarball with all scripts ready.
> >
> > > I can't create configure.
> > > It seems that config.h.in is missing on CVS.
> >
> > Run autoREconf -fiv and give me feedback if it does not work.
> >
> > --
> > Nicolas
>
> Sorry, mea culpa.
> I didn't verify that my automake was 1.6!

No problem, I'll complete README.cvs with important things to check before
starting.

> Just two remarks:
>   * Do we really need 1.6, it seems quite recent, it is not on the woody
> distribution

Woody should include it, it is stabler than 1.5, and correct many fixes. I
just asked an automake maintener, and he says we should use automake 1.6.3 :)

>   * I feel the compilation process is a bit unreadable:
> source='p30tcpip.c' object='p30tcpip.o' libtool=no \
> depfile='.deps/p30tcpip.Po' tmpdepfile='.deps/p30tcpip.TPo' \
> depmode=gcc /bin/sh ../config/depcomp \
> gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -I../include -I..    -g -Wall -c `test
> -f 'p30tcpip.c' || echo './'`p30tcpip.c
>
> Can't it be cleaned?

No, and actually it is useful to have complete compile command, to be able to
copy/paste it directly when there is a problem.
But as gcc call is on a new line, it keeps quite readable I think, it is a
habit question.

--
Nicolas