pengfork-devel

Re: [Pengfork-devel] AOL protocol knowledge

From: Nicolas Burrus
Subject: Re: [Pengfork-devel] AOL protocol knowledge
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 18:14:16 +0200

On Tuesday 03 September 2002 00:59, Jean-Charles Salzeber wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 26, 2002 at 10:22, moi wrote:
> > To extend the knowledge we have of the protocol that AOL use, I've
> > thinked of that some time ago:
> >   * Install VMWare
> >   * Install a Win*
> >   * Install an AOL interface
> >   * Configure vmware to use a fifo as Serial port.
> >
> > I know that AOL work under vmware.
> > Now someone with some time can make a program to sniff the fifo and
> > relay to the real serial device.
> > This program can be made using some of the code used in pengfork.
> >
> > This would permit us to understand what differences exist between
> > version, how work some functions (ex: mail, account management).
> >
> > This program could also be extended to permit to send a forged packet to
> > the interface and see how interface react.
> > It would greatly increase our protocol knowledge.
> >
> > Feedback?
> >
> > JC
>
> Not any reply? :(
>
> So more on this...
> I have successfuly installed AOL3,4,5,6,7 on differents win95 virtual
> systems, they work quite well!
> I have found a software named interceptty that can snoop the serial port.
> So we can analyse what is send/receive from AOL on a modem.
>
> I know that's what birdy have done for pengaol under windows, with a
> shareware, he had many issues with this shareware.
> With this method there is no issue, and because we have some knowledge
> of the P3 protocol thanks to birdy we can extend it to handle mail,
> etc...
>
> And more we can start reverse engineering the AOL6,7 protocol under
> linux. Isn't it interesting?
> I will help to this task when pengfork will be as functionnal as
> pengaol.
>
> Nobody here with some spare time wanting to start this task?

I'm quite interested in studing AOL 7.0 protocol, I'll install vmware and co
as soon as I will be freed from my exams ...

I think we should focus on v7.0 for mail, etc ... because it is the future, I
don't think it's very useful to continue learning an out of date protocol,
even if it is easier to improve a known one than discovering a new one !

Talking about that, it would be great to have formal documents with AOL
protocols, it can help understanding the code and improving it, and can help
other projects.

--
Nicolas