pengfork-devel

Re: [Pengfork-devel] AOL protocol knowledge

From: Jean-Charles Salzeber
Subject: Re: [Pengfork-devel] AOL protocol knowledge
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 14:36:44 +0200

On Tue, Sep 03, 2002 at 18:14, Nicolas Burrus wrote:

> I'm quite interested in studing AOL 7.0 protocol, I'll install vmware and co
> as soon as I will be freed from my exams ...
>
> I think we should focus on v7.0 for mail, etc ... because it is the future, I
> don't think it's very useful to continue learning an out of date protocol,
> even if it is easier to improve a known one than discovering a new one !
>
> Talking about that, it would be great to have formal documents with AOL
> protocols, it can help understanding the code and improving it, and can help
> other projects.

Look at http://www.aol-files.com they have many documents maybe
somewhat illegals, but I don't know if there is an issue to read this
documents for extending pengfork, I'm not a lawyer. :)

In fact even on AOL 7 they use a protocol named FDO. I'm not expecting
so many changes on the protocol. I believe it's just another type of
encapsulation, specially for IP, but I don't think they change all their
software/hardware for a new version.

So perhaps it's better to understand how they do this with the old
protocol, and then watch the difference with the new.
Maybe I'm wrong, but I can't say more until we have looking a bit more
on the protocol they use.

> --
> Nicolas

JC