pengfork-devel

Re: [Pengfork-devel] ANNOUNCE: pengfork working

From: Jean-Charles Salzeber
Subject: Re: [Pengfork-devel] ANNOUNCE: pengfork working
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2002 14:23:16 +0200

On Fri, Sep 13, 2002 at 13:32, Nicolas Burrus wrote:
> On Thursday 12 September 2002 21:29, Jean-Charles Salzeber wrote:
> [...]
> > PS: It seems that pengfork is also less CPU intensive than pengaol (it
> > have never overflowed 0.3%, pengaol can reach 10.0% on my Pentium 200
> > computer)
>
> On my PII 400 with -O2 and no debug, it doesn't even take 0.1% while
> downloading at 7400bps ! (RNIS). However I always found curious pengaol took
> so much CPU only extracting and building packets on a so small data flow (it
> used generally around 10% of CPU).

Well, in fact I believe pengfork should not reach 0.1% with modem/ISDN
on a recent computer because they are really slow connection.
It exists some points used often which could been improved.

Knowing what in pengaol is CPU intensive is a difficult task because of
the multi-threaded design.
For pengfork, I will try to compile it with profiling info. I'm
suspecting some performance bottleneck like the CRC, or maybe the engine
loop. I know a table-driven CRC function would improve performance.
More on this later...

The most important thing for the moment is to have a stable and fully
working client. It is always possible to enhance performance later if we
keep it in mind.

JC