[Phpgroupware-developers] Re: [ phpgroupware-Bugs-479116 ] Email Prefere

From: Tony (Angles) Puglisi
Subject: [Phpgroupware-developers] Re: [ phpgroupware-Bugs-479116 ] Email Preferences are not updated
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2001 06:38:10 +0000

Last week, email Pref handling re-writting was completed.

This was needed anyway, but when some of the pref code was moved from the email
class to the preference class, that developer missed some *small* things that
caused
prefs saving errors. I forget who moved the code, but he/she did a damned good
job
of moving some super mangled code, just a small miss.

The whole things needed re-tooling anyway, to that was finished last week.

HEAD EMAIL prefs are handled as such:

Standard Preferences: click submit and whatever changes you make should be
saved as
expected.

Custom prefs: If you check "use custom settings", and leave some (or every)
custom
prefs values blank, the pref class will use appropiate defaults for whatever
you do
not specify when it reads the prefs from the database. This is not obvious
because
when you load the email prefs page, whatever custom prefs you have not specified
will be filled in with server default values for your "convienence" :)

If you check "use custom settings", and you specify some custom prefs, such as
"Email Account Name",  then whatever you fill in will be saved for that pref
item,
if that does NOT happen then that is a serious problem!

Then only things you can not leave blank are the 2 combo boxes, for " Mail
Server
type" and "IMAP Server Type - If Applicable", (combo boxes don't have a blank
setting) but at least they start out with the default selected anyway.

The custom pref "U-Wash Mail Folder* - If Applicable" defaults to "mail" (no
quotes). This is the only custom preference for which an empty string is a valid
option. UWash IMAP is filesystem based. A blank value here will cause UWash to
look
for email "folders" (really files in the MBOX format) starting from your $HOME
directory.

Historically, phpGroupWare defaulted to $HOME/mail as the location for MBOX
files
(UWash folders). This is why the default value is "mail", so upgrades happen
transparently, but still the user (and the admin if $GLOBALS["phpgw_info"]
["server"] ["mail_folder"] = "mail" ever becomes an admin changable option) can
specify where their MBOX files are. Pine, for example, puts folders in "Mail" (I
think) which != "mail", any MBOX files in "Mail" would not be available to
phpgw is
it only looked in "mail" (as an example).

In short, I don't know how old these bug reports are, but try again.

With respect to custom email passwords, crypto has been changed and I have yet
adapt the current email code to it, no time yet...

--
that's "angle" as in geometry