pspp-dev

Re: Failure to build on Fedora 9

From: Jason Stover
Subject: Re: Failure to build on Fedora 9
Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 16:03:19 -0400

On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 01:55:58AM +0200, Matej Cepl wrote:
> Trying to build pspp on Fedora 9 (with .spec file on http://
> mcepl.fedorapeople.org/rpms/pspp.spec), but it failed (report is on http://
> mcepl.fedorapeople.org/tmp/rpmbuild-log.txt).
>
> Any idea, what should I do, to make it work?

I don't know for sure, but here are some thoughts:

The problems start here:

gcc -std=gnu99 -Wall -W -Wwrite-strings -Wstrict-prototypes
-Wpointer-arith -Wno-sign-compare -Wmissing-prototypes -O2 -g -pipe
-Wall -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fexceptions -fstack-protector
--param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -m32 -march=i386 -mtune=generic
-fasynchronous-unwind-tables -Wdeclaration-after-statement -o
src/ui/terminal/pspp /usr/lib/libreadline.so src/ui/terminal/libui.a
src/language/liblanguage.a src/output/charts/libcharts.a
src/output/liboutput.a src/math/libpspp_math.a
src/math/linreg/libpspp_linreg.a src/ui/libuicommon.a
lib/linreg/liblinreg.a lib/gsl-extras/libgsl-extras.a
src/data/libdata.a src/libpspp/libpspp.a -lxml2 -lncurses
gl/.libs/libgl.a -lgsl -lgslcblas -lplot -lm

src/language/liblanguage.a(sample.o): In function `gsl_rng_get':
/usr/include/gsl/gsl_rng.h:161: multiple definition of `gsl_rng_get'

It looks like the compiler doesn't like the two declarations of the
gsl functions. I'm not sure how this happens, because gsl_rng.h has
a header guard in it to prevent this. But liblanguage.a and libpspp_math.a
both rely on sources that include this file. Building them together doesn't
show the problem. Did you build them separately and then try to link them?

Anyway, this doesn't happen when building from source. Did you try
building from source? If so, did that work?

The file pspp.spec states:

BuildRequires: plotutils-devel, gsl-devel, ncurses-devel, readline-devel,
gtk2-devel

Does this mean it uses "development" versions of these packages?
If so, you might try using the release versions.

-Jason