pspp-users

Re: Re: Re: Translation to pt_PT

From: Harry Thijssen
Subject: Re: Re: Re: Translation to pt_PT
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 14:33:15 +0100

Oops, the previous went away too early

>> On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 01:41:13PM -0800, Ben Pfaff wrote:
>>     Michel Boaventura <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>     > A user from Portugal send me a email telling that on a windows with
>>     > pt_PT as default language, pspp uses english as language, since my
>>     > translate
>>     > is to pt_BR. But boh pt_PT and pt_BR are very similar, I guess like
>>     > en_US and en_GB.
>>     >
>>     > So, do you think that is a good idea to copy my translation to pt_PT?
>>
>> If that user sets his LANGUAGE variable to "pt_PT:pt_BR" then he will see
>> pt_PT
>> if it exists and pt_BR otherwise.
>>
>>     Should we just use it as "pt.po"?
>>
>> I had some translators on another project tell me that the two dialects were
>> different enough to cause confusion if this was done.  But since I don't know
>> any Portugeuse at all, this discussion must be left to others.
>>
>> J'

I don't think this is a good idea. First of all because there are 2
language teams in the translation project. One for Brazilian and one
for Portuguese. As the translation projects ask to  use only
translations which are uploaded to them they won't be happy with this.
Second I don't know how much the differences are, but why not copy the
Brazilian translation, change the differences and upload them as the
Portuguese translation.

I would suggest:
- ask the Portuguese user if (s)he wants to do the Portuguese translation if so;
 - let him/her join the Portuguese translation team
 - create a small script, for instance a perl script, or a new
program (if something like this not exists) with which the differences
 can be automatically assigned
 - let him//her upload the Portuguese translation
 - and newer Brazilian versions can be changed from Brazilian to
Portuguese and uploaded again
 - the Brazilian and Portuguese translators can then work together in
the translation process.
- if there is no volunteer for the Portuguese translation, leave it
like it is. Every user can copy for him/her self the file
../pspp/share/locale/pt_BR/LC_MESSAGES/pspp.mo to
../pspp/share/locale/pt/LC_MESSAGES/pspp.mo

Ps. There is no pt_PT translation team. Only pt and pt_BR.

Have fun