pspp-users

RE: How to properly cite PSPP in a publication?

From: Charles Johnson
Subject: RE: How to properly cite PSPP in a publication?
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2015 18:05:52 +0000

> Of those two, the latter citation seems more appropriate to me, because
> PSPP is directly part of the GNU Project (not the Free Software
> Foundation).

OK. Also, a friend recommended to indicate the operating system used, in this
case "GNU/Linux".

>> Depending on the project, citing the author of a manual, or the software
>> itself. Any ideas?
>
> I think that you should consider whether what you're citing is text from
> a manual or use of a program. Citing the manual is more
> straightforward, though, since it has a clear title and list of authors.

Thank you. I already cleared that doubt looking information in the manual for
APA styles (in spirit can be applied to other styles).

- The software commonly used and widely known not to be cited (like a word
processor) unless the software uses a special feature/function (eg, statistical
analysis with LO Calc). Recommend always cite the Free and Open Source software.

Therefore, if you must cite PSPP (APA):

"GNU Project (2015). GNU PSPP for GNU/Linux (Version 0.8.5) [Computer
Software]. Boston, MA: Free Software Foundation. Available from:
https://www.gnu.org/software/pspp/";

Moreover, if you want to cited a process seen in a manual, tutorial, etc.
(Using the user reference guide).

"Pfaff, B. (2015). PSPP Users' Guide. GNU PSPP Statistical Analysis Software.
Release 0.8.5. Boston, MA: Free Software Foundation. Available from:
http://www.gnu.org/software/pspp/documentation.html";

Or a chapter:

"Pfaff, B. (2015). Wilcoxon Matched Pairs Signed Ranks Test. In Pfaff, B. PSPP
Users' Guide. GNU PSPP Statistical Analysis Software (Release 0.8.5, Chapter
15). Boston, MA: Free Software Foundation. Available from:
http://www.gnu.org/software/pspp/manual/html_node/WILCOXON.html#WILCOXON";

They are just examples as I interpret it, I hope someone will be useful.

CJT