qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] how to run qemu independent of X?

From: Paul Jakma
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] how to run qemu independent of X?
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 22:04:36 +0000 (GMT)

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004, Magnus Damm wrote:

Just to clarify, I meant a guest Linux kernel above. And you are trying
to run solaris as a guest?

Yes. But I havnt serial console to work with Solaris - qemu seems to spin on startup if i try use serial console.

Hm. It takes some time before the Linux kernel starts outputting things
on the serial port. It has to decompress the kernel etc.

What is "some time", 5 minutes? More?

I have created a little Linux distribution designed to run within QEMU,
it is using the -nographic mode successfully. If it would be helpful to
you I would be happy to send a binary tarball via email (~3 MiB large
binary tarball, ~95 MiB tarball with sources).

That would be useful, I could figure out if i had a solaris bootloader problem or a qemu one. Please do! :)

You will not get any output from the BIOS or from the
bzImage-bootloader though, they seem to write directly to the VGA
hardware. And I am not sure if Ctrl-Alt-1/2/3 works correctly - I
do however get a monitor prompt displayed the first thing... wierd.

Monitor as in a stdio '(qemu) ' monitor prompt, or ....?

(qemu)

Right, but you should eventually get serial output on that same terminal no? I dont seem to (unless I need to wait even longer perhaps).

Good Luck!

/ magnus

Thanks Magnus

regards,