qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Re: Live migration protocol, device features, ABIs

From: Paul Brook
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Re: Live migration protocol, device features, ABIs and other beasts
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 13:35:35 +0000

> But it's easy to support migration to old qemu just
> by discarding the INTx state, and this is not
> at all harder, or worse, than migrating from old qemu
> to new one.

Do we really care about migrating to older versions?

Migrating to a new version (backward compatibility) I see the use, it allows
people to do upgrades with minimal downtime. I have my reservations about how
feasible this is long-term, but within a release series it's not too bad.

However is migrating to an old version (forward compatibility) really a
worthwhile thing to support? It sounds like the sort of thing that we're never
really going to test properly, so will probably fail a good proportion of the
time anyway. Reading in old state files is a whole lot easier (to write
maintain, and stay sane) than producing state that is bug-compatible with
previous versions.
This feels something where the best answer all round is "Don't do that".

Paul