qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Future goals for autotest and virtualization test

From: Ademar Reis
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Future goals for autotest and virtualization tests
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2012 11:49:58 -0300

On Thu, Mar 08, 2012 at 07:36:11AM -0600, Anthony Liguori wrote:
> [...]
> >living
> >in the respective project's tree (qemu and libvirt). Trivial tests don't need
> >autotest libs, while instrumented tests will need to, but that's OK provided
> >that the appropriate bootstrap procedure was made.
> >
> >Test Examples
> >-------------
> >
> >simple, non instrumented
> >~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> >
> >::
> >
> >uptime.sh:
> >#!/bin/sh
> >exec uptime
> >
> >uptime.py:
> >#!/usr/bin/python
> >import os, sys
> >sys.exit(os.system("uptime"))
> >
> >uptime.pl:
> >#!/usr/bin/perl
> >system("uptime");
> >exit($?);
> >
> >qemu-img-convert.sh
> >#!/bin/bash
> >qemu-img convert -O qcow2 $DATA/qemu-imgs/reference.vdi $TEMPDIR/output.qcow2
> >diff -b $TEMPDIR/output.qcow2 $DATA/qemu-imgs/reference.qcow2 > /dev/null
> >
> >uptime.py - instrummented using libautotest
> >~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> >
> >::
> >
> >#!/bin/python
> >
> >from autotest import utils, logging
> >
> >def run_uptime_host(test, params, env):
> >uptime = utils.system_output("uptime")
> >logging.info("Host uptime result is: %s", uptime)
> >

> >uptime.py - host/guest mode, instrummented using libautotest
> >~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> >
> >::
> >
> >#!/bin/python
> >
> >from autotest import utils, logging
> >
> >def run_uptime_host_and_guest(test, params, env):
> >vm = env.get_vm(params["main_vm"])
> >vm.verify_alive()
> >session = vm.wait_for_login()
> >
> >uptime_guest = session.cmd("uptime")
> >logging.info("Guest uptime result is: %s", uptime_guest)
> >
> >uptime_host = utils.system_output("uptime")
> >logging.info("Host uptime result is: %s", uptime_host)
> >

> >Virt/qemu tests: Minimal guest images
> >-------------------------------------
> >
> >In order to make development level test possible, we need the tests to run
> >fast.
> >In order to do that, a set of minimal guest images is being developed and we
> >have a version for x86_64 ready and functional:
> >
> >https://github.com/autotest/buildroot-autotest
>
> I'm really not a fan of buildroot.  Note that in order to ship
> binaries, full source needs to be provided in order to comply with
> the GPL.  The FSF at least states that referring to another website
> for source that's not under your control doesn't satisfy the
> requirements of the GPL.
>
> Just out of curiosity, did you try to use qemu-test?  Is there a
> reason you created something different?
>
> I think it's good that you're thinking about how to make writing
> tests easier, but we have a growing test infrastructure in QEMU and
> that's what I'd prefer people focused on.

You probably remember the long thread we had back in December on
qemu-devel on this topic. Back then our message was "we have a
growing test infrastructure in s/QEMU/autotest/ and that's what
we'd prefer people focused on". :-)

>From Dor:

(http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2011-12/msg03024.html)

"""
If you wish, you can challenge Lucas and Cleber w/ these type of
requirements and we'll all improve as a result.
"""

Your response was:

"""
Well consider qemu-test the challenge. It's an existence proof
that we can have a very easy to use framework for testing that
runs extremely fast and is very easy to write tests for.
"""

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/challenge-accepted ;-)

I particularly agreed with basically everything you said on that
discussion regarding test simplification (I had just joined the
team back then). To me, autotest has been focusing on QE-level,
leaving the developer-level test requirements out. Now we're
attacking this new front, and a lot of the requirements are
indeed from that discussion.

By simplifying the design and bringing barriers down, we hope to
reach a broader audience and help developers write and maintain
tests, benefiting from all the instrumentation that autotest
brings. It's not going to be just about qemu (check the new test
examples).

We have a team fully dedicated to autotest and it's used not only
by Qemu but also libvirt, Google, Xen, Fedora, Twitter, etc, etc
(these all have code contributions in autotest)

That said, the current qemu-tests will probably be easily
integrated into (the new) autotest and we hope that, given enough
time, autotest will be good enough to relieve qemu from the
framework maintenance and code duplication with other projects.

We hope in the future you see autotest the way you see gtest
right now: a library that helps you write better tests. The fully
instrummented test-runner and the hability to run tests in the
cloud will hopefully bring a lot of value as well.

Please raise your requirements. We would love to avoid code
duplication and be integrated as much as possible.

Cheers,
   - Ademar

--
Ademar de Souza Reis Jr.