[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [Qemu-devel] [PATCH v2 03/17] aio-wait: Increase num_waiters even in
Re: [Qemu-devel] [PATCH v2 03/17] aio-wait: Increase num_waiters even in home thread
Fri, 14 Sep 2018 17:14:36 +0200
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Thunderbird/52.9.1
On 13/09/2018 19:21, Kevin Wolf wrote:
> Am 13.09.2018 um 17:11 hat Paolo Bonzini geschrieben:
>> On 13/09/2018 14:52, Kevin Wolf wrote:
>>> Even if AIO_WAIT_WHILE() is called in the home context of the
>>> AioContext, we still want to allow the condition to change depending on
>>> other threads as long as they kick the AioWait. Specfically block jobs
>>> can be running in an I/O thread and should then be able to kick a drain
>>> in the main loop context.
>> I don't understand the scenario very well. Why hasn't the main loop's
>> drain incremented num_waiters?
> We are in this path (that didn't increase num_waiters before this patch)
> because drain, and therefore AIO_WAIT_WHILE(), was called from the main
> thread. But draining depends on a job in a different thread, so we need
> to be able to be kicked when that job finally is quiesced.
Ah, because AIO_WAIT_WHILE() is invoked with ctx ==
qemu_get_aio_context(), but the condition is triggered *outside* the
main context? Tricky, but seems correct. AIO_WAIT_WHILE() anyway is
not a fast path.
> If I revert this, the test /bdrv-drain/blockjob/iothread/drain hangs.
> This is a block job that works on two nodes in two different contexts.
> (I think I saw this with mirror, which doesn't take additional locks
> when it issues a request, so maybe there's a bit more wrong there... We
> clearly need more testing with iothreads, this series probably only
> scratches the surface.)
>> Note I'm not against the patch---though I would hoist the
>> atomic_inc/atomic_dec outside the if, since it's done in both branches.
- [Qemu-devel] [PATCH v2 00/17] Fix some jobs/drain/aio_poll related hangs, Kevin Wolf, 2018/09/13
- [Qemu-devel] [PATCH v2 04/17] test-bdrv-drain: Drain with block jobs in an I/O thread, Kevin Wolf, 2018/09/13
- [Qemu-devel] [PATCH v2 05/17] test-blockjob: Acquire AioContext around job_cancel_sync(), Kevin Wolf, 2018/09/13
- [Qemu-devel] [PATCH v2 06/17] job: Use AIO_WAIT_WHILE() in job_finish_sync(), Kevin Wolf, 2018/09/13
- [Qemu-devel] [PATCH v2 09/17] block-backend: Add .drained_poll callback, Kevin Wolf, 2018/09/13
- [Qemu-devel] [PATCH v2 08/17] block: Add missing locking in bdrv_co_drain_bh_cb(), Kevin Wolf, 2018/09/13