qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] PMON2000 compilation and kernel question

From: BALATON Zoltan
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] PMON2000 compilation and kernel question
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2019 14:22:57 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 6 Mar 2019, Andrew Randrianasulu wrote:
I was compiling those pmons for last two days, and I happy to say most of my
hackery was
unnecessary.

Thanks. Just a few quick notes.

After this , I run resulted pmon like this
(using Zoltan's patch for ati-vga device on top of current qemu):

mips64el-softmmu/qemu-system-mips64el -M fulong2e -cpu Loongson-2E -m 1G -bios /dev/shm/pmon-my/pmon/zloader.2edev/pmon.bin -device ati-vga,model=rv100 -hda /dev/shm/LONGSOON_disk -cdrom /dev/shm/debian-8.0.0-mipsel-xfce-CD-1.iso -display sdl,gl=on

I think you don't need -cpu option as board will set that anyway and probably does not work with anything else. Also -m 1G is useless as memory is currently fixed at 256 MB (see comment in mips_fulong2e.c:298) due to me not knowing where to map highmem on mips in general or this board in particular. If that's fixed and the line with the comment is removed you may be able to use more than 256 MB RAM but not yet.

it can see both disk and CD, but sadly I was unable to find any working kernel?!

vmlinux-2e just hangs early, and vmlinux-3.16.0-4-loongson-2e extracted from
debian pkg
hangs a litle latter in boot process. Tried without -m option, and with 2F CPU.
I mean even with just -kernel, no bios involved.

This could be some missing or buggy emulation. Maybe if you can get some debug logs from kernel that could tell what it's doing. Usually at least -d unimp,guest_errors options are recommended for debugging but if nothing is printed then it's harder to find out what's causing the hang.

Also, while I was able to compile-in uhci support, adding usb-kbd device
freezes pmon. And newly-added
EHCI support apparently limited to only some CPUs/boards :/ At least I was
unable to compile pmon in
this config and with mod_usb_ehci.

No idea about that but the default ps2 kbd and mouse that's set up by the board should work so maybe it's not important and you should not need usb for kbd.

Regards,
BALATON Zoltan