qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] converting build system to Meson?

From: Alex Bennée
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] converting build system to Meson?
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2019 18:20:30 +0000

Paolo Bonzini <address@hidden> writes:

> On 07/03/19 14:09, Peter Maydell wrote:
>> On Thu, 7 Mar 2019 at 12:56, Paolo Bonzini <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> In any case, this wouldn't change; as you suggest below, configure could
>>> remain as a front-end (well, in-srcdir builds are not supported by
>>> Meson, so "../configure && ninja" perhaps).
>>
>> As an aside, it might be a nice idea to drop the in-srcdir
>> build altogether for QEMU anyway -- it's not really a very
>> good idea and it means our build system has to cope with two
>> different ways of working to no particularly useful end.
>
> I was actually going to propose that, but I was afraid of throwing two
> bombs in the same day. :)

I have just discovered that gcovr has issues with out-of-srcdir builds
because it has difficulty finding the generated trace header files:

  Gathered coveraged data for 41 files
  Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/bin/gcovr", line 11, in <module>
      load_entry_point('gcovr==4.1', 'console_scripts', 'gcovr')()
    File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gcovr/__main__.py", line 588, in main
      print_html_report(covdata, options)
    File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gcovr/html_generator.py", line 275, in
print_html_report
      errors='replace')
  FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory:
'builds/gprof/i386-softmmu/accel/tcg/trace-root.h'

So it would be useful to fix the runes for that as well before we
totally deprecate in-srcdir builds.

--
Alex Bennée