qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] converting build system to Meson?

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] converting build system to Meson?
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2019 13:04:59 -0600

On 3/7/19 12:17 PM, Marc-André Lureau wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Thu, Mar 7, 2019 at 7:13 PM Paolo Bonzini <address@hidden> wrote:

>>> As an aside, it might be a nice idea to drop the in-srcdir
>>> build altogether for QEMU anyway -- it's not really a very
>>> good idea and it means our build system has to cope with two
>>> different ways of working to no particularly useful end.
>>
>> I was actually going to propose that, but I was afraid of throwing two
>> bombs in the same day. :)
>
> As someone who has also been annoyed having to support in-tree and
> out-of-tree, I support that move. I used to be a pretty happy use of
> in-tree builds, but out-of-tree his generally equally convenient.
>
> Who is volunteering to do patches to deprecate the support? warning in
> 4.0, and error in 4.1?

How you build only affects developers, so I don't see this as needing to
go through the usual qemu-deprecated.texi rules - we just get enough
developers to agree to it, then have a flag day (and hopefully a sane
enough patch to make an incremental in-tree build complain loudly, but
with clear instructions that can be copied-and-pasted to turn into a
clean VPATH build).

I don't mind a switch to mandatory out-of-tree builds (I like the
convenience of in-tree for quick hacks, but VPATH is infinitely more
flexible when testing multiple build configurations in parallel, and
I've worked on other projects with mandatory VPATH builds without seeing
too many complaints there).

--
Eric Blake, Principal Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc.           +1-919-301-3226