qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] converting build system to Meson?

From: Gerd Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] converting build system to Meson?
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2019 07:47:43 +0100

  Hi,

> > As an aside, it might be a nice idea to drop the in-srcdir
> > build altogether for QEMU anyway -- it's not really a very
> > good idea and it means our build system has to cope with two
> > different ways of working to no particularly useful end.
>
> I was actually going to propose that, but I was afraid of throwing two
> bombs in the same day. :)

I stopped using in-tree builds years ago.  When test-building different
configurations using an build/$cfgname out-of-tree build directory is
the only sane approach.  And IIRC I've managed to break in-tree builds
because of that.

So, yes, please.

> CentOS 7 doesn't have "native" Python 3 (even the 3.4 version you have
> there is probably coming from Fedora) but it has software collections,
> where you have to do "scl enable rh-python35 './configure && make'".
> You can check if scl and the rh-python35 software collections are
> already installed.

Also:  epel offers a meson package.  It has python34 and python36
packages too.

cheers,
  Gerd