qemu-devel

Re: deprecation of in-tree builds

From: Aleksandar Markovic
Subject: Re: deprecation of in-tree builds
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2020 18:25:27 +0200

15:32 Pon, 30.03.2020. Peter Maydell <address@hidden> је написао/ла:

> Consensus in the thread seemed to lean towards having
> the 'configure/make' runes auto-create a build directory;
> if we want to do that we should probably not say anything in
> the release notes, because we'll cause people to change
> unnecessarily. Or at least have them say "We recommend
> out-of-tree builds. In future we might make the commands
> that currently do an in-tree build automatically create
> and use a build directory for you." rather than a blanket
> "we're going to drop this and you should change what you
> do now".

My vote is for the former, rather than for the latter. I fact, if I may suggest, I would use some longer and stronger wording, just for the simple reason that the warning is less likely to be ignored (as Zoltan, I think rightfully, noted to potentially be quite frequent case in reality):

"We strongly recommend
out-of-tree builds. In future we might make the commands that currently do an in-tree build automatically create and use a separate build directory for you. Still, our recommentation is that you change all your build procedures to use only out-of-tree builds as soon as it is possible for you."

Regards,
Aleksandar