qemu-devel

Re: [PULL 00/23] QEMU changes for 7.0 soft freeze

From: Thomas Huth
Subject: Re: [PULL 00/23] QEMU changes for 7.0 soft freeze
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2022 10:46:56 +0100

On 08/03/2022 12.31, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
On 3/8/22 09:14, Thomas Huth wrote:
You now need to revert commit db4b2133b8d ('Quote "case not run" lines in TAP mode'), too, which has just been merged yesterday.

But instead of reverting, couldn't we simply go ahead with my series here instead to restore the output of failed iotests:

  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2022-02/msg05031.html

That one also drops the progress report of non-failed tests, so I'm not sure it's an improvement.

That only works here anyway if I don't run "make check" with the "-jX" option ... which I hardly do, since it then takes forever to finish the testing. So at least for me that's not really a reason.

  Also the commit message for that one should mention that it's a meson bug, IMO we should ask distros to backport the trivial fix to --verbose (https://github.com/mesonbuild/meson/commit/c3f145ca2b9f5a4cfac3ffe1de7d901a4e8aba10.patch).

Ok ... could you maybe ask the meson folks to include the fix in the upcoming stable releases? ... the meson master branch has been switched to Python 3.7 already, but AFAIU we still target Python 3.6 in QEMU, so I'm not sure whether we will be able to jump on the next main release with QEMU... we might need to stick with a 0.61.x release for a while in the future?

Since the fix is not available in any meson release yet and we're in QEMU softfreeze now, I'm now also not quite sure anymore whether we really should go forward with the TAP approach right now... maybe it's indeed better to revert the patches for QEMU 7.0 and sort it out later?

 Thomas