qemu-devel

Re: no more pullreq processing til February

From: Daniel P . Berrangé
Subject: Re: no more pullreq processing til February
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2023 14:35:36 +0000

On Thu, Jan 26, 2023 at 01:57:02PM +0000, Alex Bennée wrote:

> Peter Maydell <peter.maydell@linaro.org> writes:
>
> > Hi; we've run out of gitlab CI pipeline minutes for this month.
> > This leaves us the choice of:
> >  (a) don't process any more pullreqs til we get more minutes in Feb
> >  (b) merge pullreqs blindly without CI testing
> >  (c) buy more minutes
> >
> > For the moment I propose to take option (a). My mail filter will
> > continue to track pullreqs that get sent to the list, but I won't
> > do anything with them.
> >
> > If anybody has a better suggestion feel free :-)
>
> I've submitted a support request (#366644) to GitLab to see if they will
> give us more minutes for this month. Longer term ideas:
>
>  * Reduce compile time by reducing number of identical object files we
>    build for specific_ss
>  * Move more tests over to custom runners (don't we have an x86 box
>    somewhere?)

NB, we don't want to sacrifice coverage for contributors fork CI.

The current private runners don't do that because they're testing
scenarios that were already impossible with shared runners.

>  * Carry out an audit of code coverage for different test sets and
>    rationalise our CI set

I'm confident we can rationalize our jobs, especially the cross
compilation ones.

For each non-x86 arch we've got two sets of jobs, one for system
emulators and one for user emulators.

IMHO the most interesting part of non-x86 testing is the TCG
host target. We don't need 2 jobs to cover that, either system
or user emulators would cover TCG build / test. Most of the rest
of code is not heavily host arch dependant.

So for cross compilation we could limit ourselves to

  - 1 job per TCG host target
  - Some full coverage job(s) for a big endian arch
  - Some full coverage job(s) for a 32-bit arch

I expect that could eliminate quite a few cross arch jobs.

With regards,
Daniel