Re: [RP] RP more unstable lately?

From: Gergely Nagy
Subject: Re: [RP] RP more unstable lately?
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 16:22:59 +0200

Thus spoke Jesper Holmberg <address@hidden> on 2001-08-20 09:39:44:
> I updated my version of RP over the weekend from CVS. Now, I find it
> considerably less stable. More specifically, it segfaults when I start
> certain applications (e.g. the Opera browser).

Opera (5.05 tech prerelease) works fine here, ratpoison updated this morning.

> What can I do to help you find the problem? And more in general, what
> kind of bug reports are you guys looking for? I'd be glad to help, but
> don't know exactly what you're looking for.

IMHO, the best thing you could do is to compile ratpoison with
debugging (CFLAGS="-ggdb3 -O0" ./configure --enable-debug), and attach
gdb to ratpoison. Then, when it segfaults, do a `backtrace', and send
the output to this list.

That would probably give some hints as where the segfault occurs, and why.

Cheers,
--
Gergely Nagy \ mhp/|8]