Re: [RP] Errors

From: sabetts
Subject: Re: [RP] Errors
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 13:41:28 -0700 (PDT)

At Tue, 21 Aug 2001 15:08:56 +0200 , Jesper Holmberg <address@hidden> wrote:

>I'm getting these a lot while running RP:
>
>ratpoison: ERROR: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)!

What programs are you running and when do you get them?

>Why do they occur?

It is generally due to a race condition between X and ratpoison. For instance,
when a window is destroyed ratpoison gets a DestroyNotify event. By the time
ratpoison gets it the window could be long gone on the server but rp thinks it
still exists. In some cases rp will try to save the mouse position or restore
the color palette for the window that is now longer there. This triggers an
error. In earlier versions ratpoison would quit with this error. It now
politely notifies you. Although its not fatal, these error messages indicate
that rp is doing something incorrectly. In many cases WMs ignore bad windows
(take a look at the 9wm source) which is what rp should do once I've made
certain rp is performing correctly.