[rdiff-backup-users] User/Group Permissions Question

From: Damon Timm
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] User/Group Permissions Question
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 12:50:06 -0500

Hi - I want to run rdiff-backup from cron as root to backup all user
folders under /home/ -- this works fine, however, I am having trouble
with ownership of files ...

If I run rdiff-backup as root, the "rdiff-backup-data" is also owned
by root -- this means I have to *be* root in order to view the
incremental backups (I am using archfs).  What I would like to do, is
somehow preserve the ownership of the files/increments so that users
can simply mount my /mnt/rdiff-backup-directory (read-only mount) and
browse their backed up files ... giving them the same access they
would have had with the originals ...

Is there an easy way to go about doing this ?  Or, will I have to
create a new backup for each user's cron ?

I tried using --preserve-numerical-ids ... but, the rdiff-backup-data
is still owned by root ...

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Damon