Re: EPEL packages for CentOS6/7

From: Frank Crawford
Subject: Re: EPEL packages for CentOS6/7
Date: Tue, 12 May 2020 22:52:59 +1000

On Mon, 2020-05-11 at 10:51 -0400, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Frank Crawford <
> address@hidden
> > writes:
>
> > On Sun, 2020-05-10 at 09:40 +0100, John Harman wrote:
> > > I see that the Rdiff-backup 2.0 update has pushed out to CentOS 7
> > > servers
> > > via EPEL overnight (on a Saturday night - great timing!).
> > >
> > > In my case this has broken several backups because the CentOS 6
> > > backup
> > > master pulls from the child servers which are mostly CentOS 7.
> > >
> > > Browsing the EPEL repositories I can't see any sign of RPM
> > > packages to
> > > allow me to install Rdiff-backup 2.x on CentOS 6.
> >
> > No, unfortunately it is not possible to make an EPEL version of
> > rdiff-
> > backup 2.x, as python3 is not available directly within CentOS 6,
> > however see below.
>
> However it WOULD be possible to have an EPEL version of 1.2.8
> avaiable
> on EL7/8 that would co-exist with diff-backup 2!  :-)

Not within EPEL, but such a package is available on my COPR repository.

Run (or equivalent on EPEL7/8):
dnf copr enable frankcrawford/python2-rdiff-backup

Also on EPEL8 you will need to install:
dnf copr enable frankcrawford/python2-pyxattr

This will install a Python2 version called rdiff-backup-1 which can be
run in conjunction with the Python3 version.

> -derek

Regards
Frank