Upcoming version woes

From: Ed Greenberg
Subject: Upcoming version woes
Date: Tue, 12 May 2020 10:04:53 -0400

I realize that there are going to be lots of complaints, and I hope you'll find the time to answer these questions.

All of my servers are centos 7 with epel repo.  It's time for our monthly maintenance window. Last updates were in April.

Clients and servers have been running:

rdiff-backup.x86_64 1.2.8-13.el7                   @epel

Two test servers were updated to 2.0.0 about 30 minutes ago, and crash now with errors and tracebacks:

culminating in:

 This message may also be displayed if the remote
version of rdiff-backup is quite different from the local version (2.0.0).

which of course it is.

So do I update the backups server to 2.0.0 before updating clients? Can I be confident of having backups after I upgrade everything?

Should I version lock all our servers to 1.2.8?

Maintenance window is at 5 AM ET tomorrow.

Also, since the 1.2.8 packages are no longer in the repo, I can't downgrade the two servers that I upgraded, so I will have no backups on them tonight. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Ed Greenberg