Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] #savannah on irc.gnu.org

From: Michael J. Flickinger
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] #savannah on irc.gnu.org
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2011 17:02:30 -0500

Hi Alfred,

I'm going to have to agree here.

It's very annoying to have all the GNU channels on one network (Freenode) and the savannah channel residing on another. Further, since irc.gnu.org points to irc.freenode.net, a lot of users login to Freenode's savannah channel with questions that often go ignored.

I think since Freenode is GNU's official IRC server that we should move the channel back.

Simply put, to users, I think going to irc.gnu.org #savannah should be the proper channel.

Is anyone opposed to this?

--
Michael

Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:
Hi,

I find it immensly annoying that irc.gnu.org isn't hosting #savannah,
while I understand Sylvain's concerns regarding TOR, it does more harm
than good to have some IRC channels (specially ones as important as
#savannah, which has been invaluable when shit hits the fan) on random
servers.

If freenode for whatever reason cannot support our needs, then maybe
we should switch.  But I think that #savannah should exist, and be
active when you connect to irc.gnu.org.

Cheers, Alfred