Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] requirements of a new project in GNU Savan

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] requirements of a new project in GNU Savannah
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2014 22:16:04 GMT

    especially that on Savannah no piece free-software code should ever
    be deleted... (at least in theory?).

I can imagine very unusual cases where we might delete something
(because rms tells us to, basically :), but essentially yes.

    But how about some form of archiving? as-in, moving to some
    read-only place?

I don't see the benefit.  But changing the status to "orphaned" could be
a useful signal.  And, as I mentioned in passing before, some kind of
activity metric could be useful so that potential contributors can see
more easily "gee, this package has 20 lines of code and hasn't been
touched in a decade, maybe I shouldn't bother looking at it" ...

    locking the mailing-lists ?

On the other hand: suppose a (nontrivial) package has been moribund for
years, then someone comes along and gets a bright idea to revive it.
Wouldn't the natural thing to do at that point be to post to a mailing
list for it?  I know it's one of the things that I would do.  So I'm not
sure about disabling mailing lists, in general.

Except ... I can imagine one case where we should: those "vaporware"
packages we discussed which were never real.  Then there is nothing that
will ever get revived and thus no reason to keep eating up bandwidth
with the endless spam.

Thanks,