[Savannah-hackers] Re: regarding replacement savannah system (was Re: ad

From: Mathieu Roy
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: regarding replacement savannah system (was Re: address@hidden: Re: savannah quality of service lowering])
Date: 09 Sep 2003 09:35:15 +0200

Hi Bradley, glad to see some news

"Bradley M. Kuhn" <address@hidden> said:

> Paul Fisher, FSF's one and only sysadmin, is extremely overworked, and we
> have yet to fully recover from the crack and the failed gnudist machine.
>
> We desperately need to roll out a new mail server, to decouple the mail
> server from RT (the staff looses hours a week waiting for RT to respond)
> and to decouple the web and ftp site from the same machine.  That machine
> has already crashed due to load once.

There's an obvious lack of manpower for sysadmin, you should really
incitate people to contribute in that area.

I've just received a message from Paul Wallington saying he will
manage something at Savannah. Apparently he does not understand how
the Savannah software works (no blame, it not something that can be
obvious). It would be better to ask him to help Paul F., because what he
proposed to do it something very trivial for us, because I think there
more chance that Paul W. is familiar with GNU/Linux administration
than with Savannah software.

So send people where it's needed (I said it 4 times already). We need,
at Savannah, to be able to rely on sysadmin for the mail server and
web server. We have currently no problem to manage Savannah. If
someday we begin to lack manpower, we will tell you.

As for Hard Disk, I think we are capable to understand our needs and
to ask for help before any problem occurs.

> I don't believe that the new savannah machine can be a priority at
> the moment.  We are also now short one machine because the internal
> FSF server failed.

Ok. But Andi Tai (unless I'm mistaken on the name) told he will offer
for Savannah the sum to pay a new hard disk, something we *really*
need.
This should be a top priority because we're near to have HD completely
full.

(for the server it's not a big deal. If someday you find a computer
like the current one, just add it to the network, we'll just have to
move the CVS there / or the database, web server.

> We'll try to bring up a new-savannah as soon as we can, and we are
> working as fast as we can.  Please keep Paul and me apprised of how
> desperate the situation becomes.  At this point, we are so
> overworked that only *extremely* urgent matters can get top
> priority.

That's ok, I understand that.

Thanks,

  Homepage: